• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

E3 2018 Maneater

Ryderrr

FNG / Fresh Meat
Jan 17, 2023
Hi, so just finished the game today and man what a great and fun game indeed. But i just noticed something that i think game got some little downgrade from what i see. When i look at the E3 2018 Maneater gameplay trailer and some old screenshots the game looks much better and realistic, in terms of graphics and characters etc but now game is really stylized and kinda looks toon looking.. Characters and npcs look weird imo, you can even see some bikini girls, jacked guys etc in this e3 2018 trailer
also the world looks more alive, people swimming in underwater etc etc. It just saddens me especially devs like tripwire doing some sfw, kinda ugly works and some little downgrades like this tbh. Btw you don't believe me but i don't see any bikini, thong girls like in this image below lol.. Hell probably the all characters i see have dark (almost black) weird skin and different hair colors red, blonde etc, Also many fat people for some reason lmao it just looks unrealistic and awful.. I don't get if it's some bug problem from my game or it's just the way it is..
09a5f180-7474-11ea-ade5-d1d1b8ae4b1c-ManeaterEating.jpg

E3 2018 Maneater gameplay trailer

Well your premise is a bit wrong from the first. That was the game announcement trailer, not a gameplay trailer. If I recall correctly it aired at the PC Gaming Show, and you can find the original here:

As it is not a gameplay trailer, it was made with early in development, cut and even temp assets as the game was still well under development and the game continued to be worked on and optimized for all platforms for quite some time after that. That is just how game development and trailers of various sorts work (Announcement/cinimatic vs gameplay).

In terms of humans in the final game, the game uses a template of character types and mixes and matches at random to generate the ones that populate your game at any given point when you enter a zone. Some zones are heavily weighted towards certain character types over others to try and match the population that lives/works in that area (Ie: Swamp people live in the swamp, wealthy tourists are in the beach/hotel areas).

With out an image of what you say you are experiencing on how your characters look I can't begin to determine if you are encountering an issue or not.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well your premise is a bit wrong from the first. That was the game announcement trailer, not a gameplay trailer. If I recall correctly it aired at the PC Gaming Show, and you can find the original here:

As it is not a gameplay trailer, it was made with early in development, cut and even temp assets as the game was still well under development and the game continued to be worked on and optimized for all platforms for quite some time after that.

In terms of humans in the final game, the game uses a template of character types and mixes and matches at random to generate the ones that populate your game at any given point when you enter a zone.
My bad.. didn't see the official video tripwire posted so yeah. What i understand, downgrade is necessary for the optimization for all platforms. Game generates characters? yeah that's probably why characters looks so random.. thanks for the clarification, Because even in different zones for example beaches the characters looks messed up, like you can even see dudes with suit on beach lol

Upvote 0