• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

EAC Problems (Linux)

DNEAVES

FNG / Fresh Meat
Jun 19, 2023
Summary: "Anti-Cheat Error: EAC Validation Failed" after a few seconds, on joining every lobby.
Category: Other
Reproducibility:
Always

Description:
Since the Neon Nights update, I have been unable to play on Linux (Pop_OS). When finding a match and joining the lobby, within about 5-8 seconds I'm returned to the menu with an "Anti-Cheat Error: EAC Validation Failed".

I was able to play just fine pre-Neon Nights, sans a small period of time post-Misery Empire where the same issue occurred but was later fixed via an update.

I've seen a suggestion to run the "InstallAntiCheat.bat" file within the install directory, but since I'm running on a Linux system, I have to run this through WINE. This did not solve the issue. I have also tried a full uninstall/reinstall of the game, using various Proton versions, and I have checked if this "fixed itself" various times since the Neon Nights release (Such as after the Queens and Kings release, and as recent as last week).

I really enjoyed this game, and would just like to play it again.

Jatimania update: Still can't play. Tried after the Overhaul update. Tried a reinstall again. Tried using protontricks to run both InstallAntiCheat.bat and EastAntiCheat/EasyAntiCheat_EOS_Setup.exe. No dice.

9 months since Neon Nights update, still can't play the game. Starting seems like a loss of money to have purchased the game, and I'm kinda giving up on it. Its a shame since it worked mostly-fine before Neon Nights, and it was a really fun game.

I tried reaching out on Discord.
I tried reaching out on Twitter/X, twice. (Giving me non-descriptive help, and non-help)
Pretty sure I sent a support request, too, but it was likely lost in the mix.
And of course, here.

And no tangible help. Just crickets.

Upvote 0
I've tried a bunch of the Proton versions.

Proton 7.0-6 (released Feb 2023, so doesn't make sense to try pre-7 versions) : Worked pre-EAC and pre-Misery Empire, but doesn't work now.

I used various versions of Proton 8.0-X post-Misery Empire update, as they were available. The last working combination of Proton releases and Deceive Inc would have to be Proton 8.0-2 (which at the time would have been "Experimental") and the Misery Empire update. Neon Nights and Proton 8.0-3 came out on July 20th and 21st, respectively, and that didn't work then. In Steam, can currently only select Proton 8.0-5 from 8.0 releases, which does not work.

Then there's Proton 9.0 Beta and Proton Experimental, both of which do not work.

My Steam Deck says, under Deceive Inc's game info: "Runs on this computer via Steam Play. Proton 8.0-5 selected by Valve testing". But as mentioned above, 8.0-5 isn't working on my desktop. It does work on my Steam Deck.

I also noted, in running Deceive Inc on my Steam Deck just now, that it did run an EAC install phase when launching the game for the first time. I don't recall seeing this on my desktop after any Proton version change, or reinstall of the game, or delete-EAC-folder + verify integrity. It just did usual Microsoft Redistributable & DirectX stuff. So it seems the EAC post-install-pre-launch scripts might not be running, or might be prematurely exiting with a quiet failure, which I already knew from trying to run them manually via protontricks.

I know EAC's scripts can run, since another game I play called LEAP uses EAC and I've used the installer there, and played that game no-problem. (Also, side note, they make use of Steam's Launch Options menu to add options for installing/uninstalling EAC, which I think can be helpful, instead of the "delete the EAC folder and verify" technique.)

Upvote 0