• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

EDARS Killed KF2 for me, do not add to KF3

Permastoned

FNG / Fresh Meat
Jan 7, 2024
Every single fan pretty much agrees that EDARs don't fit the game's aesthetic, and they are the most obnoxious and OP zeds in the game. Matriarch is already hard enough, now add these zeds that stop you from moving and you get blasted by bullets, bombs and a laser all at once instantly dieing. It's not fun. It's why I've uninstalled KF2 twice, about to uninstall a 3rd time. Genuinely considering NOT PURCHASING KF3 if edars are added to the game. It's not that the zeds are "hard", I religiously play HOE, it's that they are too much. If added to KF3, I was planning on pre-ordering the game once available, but that's definitely being halted until I know if EDARs will be making a return or not.

Reactions: Fala7er and MK.
They're not OP or difficult Zeds by any stretch; anyone with any experience in first-person shooters knows how to shoot center of mass and they die fairly quickly once you understand how they work. The worst thing they can throw at you is Trappers and Trappers get stumbled by a particularly sharp gust of wind, so they shouldn't actually be snagging anyone with regularity.

That said, they're designed to be extremely irritating to deal with on purpose. If they died to headshots like everything else, I wouldn't care. But they don't, so I do.

Upvote 0
Agree with this, ditch the EDARs. It's not that they're not hard to kill, they're just highly annoying. Anything that takes control away from the player (at range, Trapper) is a bad decision in my opinion. The Matriarch boss battle is even more obnoxious when they're spawned in. They also don't fit the game's theme, no matter how much they're built on, they still don't belong in the game.

Upvote 0
Yeah, scrapyard for the robots please. EDARs as enemies in the main waves were the main reason I wanted to launch KF2 less and less over the years. Thematically it was disappointing to lose a chunk of the game's identity, (you fight mutant specimens) but far more importantly, their behavior and sounds were extremely irritating. They're alarm clocks. Playing kf2 with edars is trying to get back to a good dream between snooze button presses.

Reactions: Gregs2k2
Upvote 0
My opinion on the EDARs stayed roughly the same along the years, although I do find myself a little more hostile to them as of late. I still believe they should have been cyborgs, akin to the Husks, rather than pure artificial constructs. I also believe they bring very little to the table in terms of pure power : the stalkers and crawlers are already hard-to-hit foes that can deplete your mags by throwing off your aim. The Husk is already there to make you remember to watch your distances too. Fleshpounds and Scrakes are already tough opponents capable of blocking your shots, and the Rioters are also armored, forcing you to aim elsewhere.

The only thing that truly set them apart is pretty much how ANNOYING they are to deal with. If you've been reading my posts for a little while, you know I often praised the fact they're pretty much a free EMP grenade, and I'm not against enemies keeping you on your toes simply by making you rethink your main strategy (aka : aiming for the head). But that doesn't save them from being boring enemies that are more trouble than they're worth: trappers especially can badly screw you over, often simply by hiding behind other zeds or snagging you from behind. Clots share that trait of blocking your movement, but they are very easy to dispatch and can only do so at melee range. It feels a tad more lenient and balanced. While the other two variants are... worse husks? With the comparison being even more interesting considering they also have a different weak spot leading to an interesting reward: their gas tank. But unlike EDARs : their movement aren't nearly as difficult to predict, and they can still die to a perfect headshot (or two). Which I believe is more interesting than entirely removing the ability to headshot in a pinch.

Reactions: Gregs2k2
Upvote 0