• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

They need to change the HRG Stunner into doing actual shotgun damage at the very least

Bender the Offender

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 16, 2023
Why is the damage type of the HRG Stunner listed as a SMG? Yes the SWAT uses it, but everything about this gun is listed as a shotgun as it should be since it's description is a HRG modification of a AA-12. Also don't say the gun would be too OP because the HRG Nailgun (also a SWAT weapon) does actual nail/piercing damage like it's original counterpart. Which has roughly the same damage ratio as shotguns anyways.

I am told since it is a slug round (which is far more bullet like compared to other shotgun rounds and does not have its own damage model), design felt it best to use the SMG damage type to make it integrate better with the perk.

First thank you for taking the time to respond back. Nice to get info from the developers themselves. Secondly though the developers logic is very flawed here for all the following reasons:

1) Shotgun slugs ARE shotgun shells just like shotgun pellets are. Here's a pick of them side by side.
main-qimg-776aa278f4a1a295fc2eff35f513110a-lq

They're literally the same thing! A slug is just a giant pellet essentially.

2) A submachine gun by definition is a machine gun that uses handgun/pistol bullets. The Stunner is neither a machine gun nor does it use handgun/pistol bullets. Not even close.

3) Classifying the Stunner as a SMG because it fires a slug instead of pellets is as silly as saying a water balloon, a super soaker, a garden hose and a bucket of water don't do water damage. Instead a water balloon is more like a grenade, so it should do explosion damage. A super soaker looks like a assault rifle, so it should to assault round damage. A garden hose looks like something the firebug would use, so it should do fire damage. And the bucket of water is an up close attack, so it should do slashing damage. I'm sure many would agree the above logic is completely ridiculous.

4) Besides the HRG nailgun, there's the other 3 elephants in the room here which are the HRG Bastion and the G36C assault rifle. Both of which do assault rifle damage instead of SMG damage despite they're exclusive to the SWAT. Final one being the Stunner itself or in this case it's alt fire which does the same damage as a grenade launcher (ballistic + explosion) rather than SMG damage, and the primary fire should make sense too. So clearly weapon damage making sense to the design of the weapon trumps what class it belongs in.

5) Continuing the above argument about damage belong to class, if that's true then the VLAAD nailgun should be doing slashing damage instead of shotgun damage (I thought it did piercing damage, but it's a crossperk with the Support I guess) and the HRG Teslauncher should be doing slashing damage too. Instead that one does microwave damage and EMP damage. Speaking which...

6) Unrelated to the Stunner, but shouldn't the Ion Thruster do either microwave or EMP damage instead of slashing? Unstandable you don't want it to do fire damage since it will feel too much like a Firebug weapon, but microwave or EMP damage does make sense for that weapon. Plus it would make the Ion thruster a unique type of microwave or EMP weapon.

If the developers need something to make the shotgun slug different from shotgun pellets, there's already a difference: the Stunner's slug only does 80 damage vs shotgun pellets which often does over twice the amount of damage. There, that's it. Shotgun slugs are weaker than shotgun pellets, but make up their lack of power with more accuracy. That's all the developers need to seperate the two. No need to try and be more elaborate by putting them in completely different damage types.

Finally giving the HRG Stunner shotgun damage (as well as grenade launcher damage for it's alt fire) will effectively make it the SWAT's strongest per shot weapon, which the gun truly deserves and feels like should be a bigger heavy hitter weapon than a nailgun.

EDIT: I also remember something else very important here which is the Stunner also does shotgun penetration. Since it does 2 penetration which is the standard penetration for shotguns, but it doesn't do shotgun damage despite firing shotgun shells? What kind of logic is that?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I am told since it is a slug round (which is far more bullet like compared to other shotgun rounds and does not have its own damage model), design felt it best to use the SMG damage type to make it integrate better with the perk.
I think it would still make sense to make it more like a shotgun than an SMG. It could add some more variety.

Reactions: Bender the Offender
Upvote 0
I think it would still make sense to make it more like a shotgun than an SMG. It could add some more variety.
Heck the Commando has a good amount of variety in that class:
M16 - grenade launcher / ballstic + explosive damage
HMtech-501 - healing grenades / ballistic + poison damage
Famas - shotgun damage
HMtech-401 - healing darts
Fal - rifle damage
Tommy gun - submachine gun
Minigun - large capacity machine gun with 2 penetration
Sentinel - auto-turret

SWAT at the moment has this for variety:
Nailgun - piercing damage
G36C assault rifle - assault rifle damage + high penetration
Bastion - assault rifle damage + shield
Mac-10 - fire afterburn damage
Riot shield and glock 18 - shield that can bash attack
HMtech-201 - healing darts
Stunner - discount flash grenades

SWAT definitely feels like it could use a bit more variety since some of the above are kind of redundant. So why not just go the full distance and make the Stunner a legit shotgun? Would easily be the most unique weapon on the SWAT's arsenal.