• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

PSA: Investigation into reports of increased PlayStation instability

Yoshiro

Senior Community Manager
Staff member
  • Oct 10, 2005
    East Coast
    We'd like to thank you all again for your patience as we worked towards solutions for the reports of instability around Castle Volter. A hotfix has gone live this morning. https://forums.tripwireinteractive....ion-1-76-fall-2023-hot-fix-changelog.2340042/

Update 5: Thank you for your continued patience with this matter. We're validating final fixes now, and if everything goes according to plan, we have a tentative target for a hotfix to be deployed by the end of the month.

Update 4:
    We apologize that this issue has taking us this long as our investigation has has shown it to be more complicated and difficult to solve than anticipated. Every day the team has continued to drill into the root cause of this issue and has made progress towards a hotfix, but we are not yet at a point where we are comfortable with providing an ETA as there are still some things actively being investigated and worked on around this issue.

Due to disruption, we are extending the Halloween event until 11/28 (tentative, and depending on when a hotfix is ready to deploy) to give players more time to complete the objectives. Thank you for your continued patience and understanding.

Update 3:
    The team is still hard at work on this issue making incremental builds continuing to test for causes and solutions.

While improvements have been made, we are not yet at a place where we believe we have a release candidate build and are continuing the process.

Update 2:
    As the team continues to work on this issue, it has become apparent that a fix will not be ready before this weekend.

Update 1:
    The team is continuing to investigate and work on this issue as their top priority. The current focus is to isolate the exact cause so it can be fixed and hotfix created.

For now avoiding the new map will have the best results in avoiding the issue. We also plan to extend the event to make sure players have an opportunity once the fix has been finalized and deployed.

Original Post:
    We've had several reports of increased instability come in from players on the PlayStation 4 & 5 and we are investigating as to what may be the cause. We will update this thread/post as we learn new information or if we need help gathering additional details from the community.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Game is literally unplayable. And stop acting like this is a new thing. This same exact problem has been happening for years. I pretty much stopped playing altogether. Decide to come check out the halloween event, and lo and behold what do I come back to? WORSE CRASHES THAN LAST YEAR thats what. I have no clue how you guys can't fix this, and now you're making another game? Yeah, you guys wasted my time and money with this one as it is, you expect people to throw money at you for another game when you can't even properly fix this? Hell no. I'm giving one week for you to fix this problem, if it's not fixed I'm uninstalling and never touching anything these devs have their hands in ever again.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Reactions: Donkeyboy
    Upvote 0
    Broken still. Can devs not login to a ps4 that isn’t a dev console? The frames are atrocious.
    The investigation is continuing. And while we can reproduce the issue with a standard console, it isn't being easily reproduced with a dev console which give us more details about what is happening at this time.

What we do know seems to point at the new map, and create match being more stable than find a match for those users are are experiencing instability.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0
    Still busted today. After my game crashing 6 times just trying to get in a match I decided to do the weekly for the seasonal challenge solo. It's the only one I have left and I've had to do them all solo. I was halfway through wave 7 when my game crashed. It was the endless wave challenge all over again as that one took 4 tries as the game kept crashing.

I've never been more tempted to just delete this game and never touch it again.

Upvote 0
    Crazy thing is, i don’t believe this is actually a new issue. I have been experiencing this particular problem of forced crashes while matchmaking for months already but every now and then i would be able to find a game with stability, but for every 1 game found i would have to experience 7-10 crashes. Now with this hans update I’m unable to find a match at all. Seems like this newest update exasperated the issue.

Upvote 0
    Can we please get an update on the situation? At least a recurring summary showing that there's someone paying attention would be awesome.

Thank you!
    The investigation is still ongoing. There currently isn't any new info from our end to share, yet.

Upvote 0
    the problem is not the game, the problem is the playstation network which has been causing a lot of problems lately.
    Between hacker attacks and other problems their servers have been going bad for almost 2 months, it also happens in other online games and profiles.
    I play on PS5, I still get crashes and error messages in other games as well..
    The thing is I've never had an issue with crashing before the update. Also I was crashing on the new map even playing solo, I don't think the psn would cause that, but maybe I'm wrong. The only annoying thing is the game wouldn't me use my payed extra content half the time.

Reactions: Donkeyboy
    Upvote 0
    We've had several reports of increased instability come in from players on the PlayStation 4 & 5 and we are investigating as to what may be the cause. We will update this thread/post as we learn new information or if we need help gathering additional details from the community.
    I've been doing some research on this subject and have found that there is no way to join any Castle Volter lobby while in progress. You can only play the map by voting into the map from another match. The crashes will occur while either in solo or with other people and seem to be almost completely random. Can happen on any wave, any time. Someone could crash on wave 2 and you could keep going until wave 8 until the blue screen hits you or vice versa. The only thing I could think of that would cause these issues would be some sort of scripting error, though I have no idea since I'm a simple community member. Hopefully this info helps devs and players alike.

Upvote 0
    I've been doing some research on this subject and have found that there is no way to join any Castle Volter lobby while in progress. You can only play the map by voting into the map from another match. The crashes will occur while either in solo or with other people and seem to be almost completely random. Can happen on any wave, any time. Someone could crash on wave 2 and you could keep going until wave 8 until the blue screen hits you or vice versa. The only thing I could think of that would cause these issues would be some sort of scripting error, though I have no idea since I'm a simple community member. Hopefully this info helps devs and players alike.
    Also small complaint, the frames get choppy af on higher rounds with the medic perks for other people, it's been really bad since medic ui was reworked and I haven't seen anyone ***** about it yet so here I am.

Upvote 0
    Thank you for the information. I've passed it along to the team for further investigation!

Upvote 0