• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

PSA: Investigation into reports of increased PlayStation instability

I've had an unplayable FPS (aprox. 2-5 FPS) for the past few months on every map I've tried in both solo and playing with 1-2 friends. I'm playing on a PS5, with the game installed on an external 3TB harddrive (I even tried a fresh game install last night). I've read about the PSN profile image issue, and I'm certain mine would cause an issue, seeing as it is unavailable on the PSN store nowadays. Its the USIF Logo from Section 8: Prejudice (attachment is the closest I could find to the original image online)
download (2).png

I hope this issue can be resolved, I really want to play this update!

Upvote 0
the problem is not the game, the problem is the playstation network which has been causing a lot of problems lately.
the problem is not the game, the problem is the playstation network which has been causing a lot of problems lately.
Between hacker attacks and other problems their servers have been going bad for almost 2 months, it also happens in other online games and profiles.
I play on PS5, I still get crashes and error messages in other games as well..

Between hacker attacks and other problems their servers have been going bad for almost 2 months, it also happens in other online games and profiles.
I play on PS5, I still get crashes and error messages in other games as well..

Upvote 0
The problem is the game. Not the PlayStation network. You play a game long enough and you'll get the rare crash. But I've never had a game crash on me 15 times in a row from just trying to join a game - except KF2 (since the Halloween update). And it is still almost impossible to join someone else's game. Pretty much makes the whole Halloween update pointless.

Upvote 0
Well you've lost a customer. Over 2000 hours between KF1 and KF2 (on PC and PS) and you've just made the game unplayable on PS. Whatever you've done with your Halloween update, you've broken the game. I can't even join a game with friends without getting booted within the first couple waves. And it doesn't even matter what map we choose, endless is screwed. Of course picking Castle Volter will crash the game no matter what game mode you play. And I thought you tested these new maps in Beta?

Upvote 0
It may also be the game and the latest update that caused these problems, but I and many other friends with excellent connections have constant errors and crashes in other online games too, it's also a PlayStation problem.
anyway, patience and they will also solve this problem of increased PlayStation instability.
If the game has a 22gig update and then there is an enormous increase in crashes, it's the game, not the network. I have hundreds of hours in KF2 on PS5 and can count on one hand the amount of crashes before the Halloween update.

Upvote 0
The investigation is continuing. And while we can reproduce the issue with a standard console, it isn't being easily reproduced with a dev console which give us more details about what is happening at this time.

What we do know seems to point at the new map, and create match being more stable than find a match for those users are are experiencing instability.

So, to be clear... an issue that shows itself without even trying on a consumer product, was released because you didn't test your game/update on a consumer product?

No one else sees the issue with that? As a member of a total conversion modification based on GoldSRC, I can't believe any development team wouldn't test their product on the consumer end device. That seems like a MASSIVE oversight, and I'd personally have someone losing their job over it.

Lucky for you guys, it's just crashing the game on consumer hardware. Imagine the level of **** you would be in if it ended up bricking thousands of PS4's and 5's. You would have just put yourself out of business in a class action suit.

Reactions: Fox13 and Donkeyboy
Upvote 0
The crashing issue is NOT a new issue. It’s a new increase in the problem. The crashing issue has been present on PlayStation for over a year. Your team should request access from PlayStation to see all of the submitted reports from players getting the blue screen crash. Even in private games my friends and I can’t make it past wave 5. We even have a couple that have to wait until we are in the map loaded in before they can even join. If they join in the lobby menu, the game crashes. We have tried all the remedies another dev told us to try on other submitted tickets. There have been several events we couldn’t participate in. It sucks because we all WANT to play this game. But no matter what tickets we submit, it falls on deaf ears.

Reactions: Fox13 and Echo_jex
Upvote 0
The crashing issue is NOT a new issue. It’s a new increase in the problem. The crashing issue has been present on PlayStation for over a year. Your team should request access from PlayStation to see all of the submitted reports from players getting the blue screen crash. Even in private games my friends and I can’t make it past wave 5. We even have a couple that have to wait until we are in the map loaded in before they can even join. If they join in the lobby menu, the game crashes. We have tried all the remedies another dev told us to try on other submitted tickets. There have been several events we couldn’t participate in. It sucks because we all WANT to play this game. But no matter what tickets we submit, it falls on deaf ears.
Thank you Wiggles, I'm coming over here from PlayStation players game crashes when joining online. For anyone following the concerns about the game crashes due to the Halloween update, please review the related symptoms in this other thread. A key note about the ONGOING (year+) crash is if your main menu shows the default KF2 icon instead of your PS avatar, then it'll never connect online. Earlier this year my friends and I were staying to connect directly more often, but so far since this update I haven't been able to play online at all.

Upvote 0
The team is continuing to investigate and work on this issue as their top priority. The current focus is to isolate the exact cause so it can be fixed and hotfix created.

For now avoiding the new map will have the best results in avoiding the issue. We also plan to extend the event to make sure players have an opportunity once the fix has been finalized and deployed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank you Wiggles, I'm coming over here from PlayStation players game crashes when joining online. For anyone following the concerns about the game crashes due to the Halloween update, please review the related symptoms in this other thread. A key note about the ONGOING (year+) crash is if your main menu shows the default KF2 icon instead of your PS avatar, then it'll never connect online. Earlier this year my friends and I were staying to connect directly more often, but so far since this update I haven't been able to play online at all.
The profile picture thing was the first remedy I was told to try. It worked for me, but I have 3 friends that will refresh their game until their picture loads, and it will still crash. 2 others can’t even join in on each other. If they simply attempt to join, it will crash immediately. There shouldn’t be some pre game ritual to be able to play this game. Especially since this thing has been an issue for so long.

Upvote 0
The only time I crash is when the map Castle Volter loads and sometimes I manage to get on to the map but game crashes after first wave. I did change my avatar to sack boy, the one where he is running so whether or not that stopped me crashing so much, anyone can try that. But still I wouldn't call it a permanent fix because we shouldn't have to change our avatars to play a game. Best thing to avoid that map aswel is to not vote for castle Volter after the match has finished, I see alot of players doing this and crash everytime.

Upvote 0
We're 9 days into a pretty significant issue and we've received a single update message from the development team. Is there any additional information that has been uncovered or possibly targeted information you'd like from the community to assist? It feels that this issue isn't getting very much attention.

I'm concerned about future support when Killing Floor 3 is released if this is the bar that's being set.

Reactions: Fox13
Upvote 0
Is there any additional information that has been uncovered or possibly targeted information you'd like from the community to assist? It feels that this issue isn't getting very much attention.

There is no additional information requests from the team at this time. What has been noted hasn't changed, this is the teams top priority, and work is going into isolating the exact cause so it can be fixed.

Unfortunately this isn't an exciting or fast process. It is slow and involves (or did involve)

• getting a reliable reproduction case (this phase is over)
  • making changes
  • making builds
  • testing them against the reliable reproduction case
  • document any changes (looking for improvements to the known crash rate of the reproduction case)
  • and repeating the process until the issue has been isolated and resolved

Last edited:
Upvote 0
There is no additional information requests from the team at this time. What has been noted hasn't changed, this is the teams top priority, and work is going into isolating the exact cause so it can be fixed.

Unfortunately this isn't an exciting or fast process. It is slow and involves (or did involve)

• getting a reliable reproduction case (this phase is over)
  • making changes
  • making builds
  • testing them against the reliable reproduction case
  • document any changes (looking for improvements to the known crash rate of the reproduction case)
  • and repeating the process until the issue has been isolated and resolved
We're well aware it's a slow process, because this happened last year and you still haven't fixed it. Quite frankly this is the slowest process of fixing something I've ever seen from a game. Congratulations.

Reactions: Donkeyboy
Upvote 0