• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

PSA: Investigation into reports of increased PlayStation instability

We apologize that this issue has taking us this long as our investigation has has shown it to be more complicated and difficult to solve than anticipated. Every day the team has continued to drill into the root cause of this issue and has made progress towards a hotfix, but we are not yet at a point where we are comfortable with providing an ETA as there are still some things actively being investigated and worked on around this issue.

Due to disruption, we are extending the Halloween event until 11/28 (tentative, and depending on when a hotfix is ready to deploy) to give players more time to complete the objectives. Thank you for your continued patience and understanding.

So in other words, we have, as of my writing this, 11 days to complete objectives for the Halloween event... without a fix for the crashing that makes it impossible to play 15 rounds.. with the latest post here having a target eta of the end of the month for the fix. Leaving us mere hours to get the objectives done?

Upvote 0
I just know I'm gonna get mobbed by the whole community for saying this, and I'll probably delete my account and roll my eyes in despair at how divisive and combative people are so ready to be behind the safety of their screens, but god damn you're all so expectant, demanding, condescending, and pushy.

Tripwire is a studio that don't pump out new entries to their franchises every year like Call of Duty does or whatever. This is a good thing; - quality over quantity is still a timeless truth. And, yes, it's never good to release something that has such critical issues (even an update). And, yes, they've done some questionable things, like paid weapons. (And I personally can't say I've particularly loved any new map since 2018's Monster Ball.) But god damn, can you at least keep in mind why you like Killing Floor 2? It's one of the best shooter engines out there. It's honestly amazingly crafted with lots of smooth animations, weight, and realism (namely bullets traveling in a straight line from the hip).

It is at the end of its life, and likely only worked on by a few people now, which for a 7 year old game, is a lot more love than 90% of game studios out there will bother to maintain. It's dregs, but it's love. And I'll take dregs of love over none. Killing Floor 2 has given me more memories than I've had any right to expect of it. And it's possible we'll never see a successor perform as good, whether for nostalgic reasons or because developer goals shift. (But my faith is fully with you for KF3, Tripwire. I am looking forward.)

It makes me so sad to read things like "you're not even trying" and "game is unplayable and this isn't new". This IS new, never before have we gotten an update that bluescreens PlayStations this consistently and persistently. Give the devs some breathing room, for god sake. It's vile how you're talking to these people. These people are human beings with beating hearts and sensitive feelings. They're not just here to provide you entertainment or to be your punching bag for when you don't get it quickly enough.

I absolutely hate the mentality going around nowadays where people are so ready to jump on any mistake and use it to inflate all other minor issues, whining like petulent, spoilt children, at the same time elevating themselves above others, like they never made mistakes or had random bugs hop into their games before.

I've experienced every issue described in this thread at some point or another, and I still love KF2. Making games is hard (I've tried it), so I have patience. And I implore you to have it too. Nobody will be happy about this situation, not us as players or the devs as artists. Could we have a little more "hope you find a solution" as opposed to "how dare you, I gave you my money in 2016 and you deliver one broken free update in 7 years".

Reactions: Obi-Juan45
Upvote 0
I just know I'm gonna get mobbed by the whole community for saying this, and I'll probably delete my account and roll my eyes in despair at how divisive and combative people are so ready to be behind the safety of their screens, but god damn you're all so expectant, demanding, condescending, and pushy.

Tripwire is a studio that don't pump out new entries to their franchises every year like Call of Duty does or whatever. This is a good thing; - quality over quantity is still a timeless truth. And, yes, it's never good to release something that has such critical issues (even an update). And, yes, they've done some questionable things, like paid weapons. (And I personally can't say I've particularly loved any new map since 2018's Monster Ball.) But god damn, can you at least keep in mind why you like Killing Floor 2? It's one of the best shooter engines out there. It's honestly amazingly crafted with lots of smooth animations, weight, and realism (namely bullets traveling in a straight line from the hip).

It is at the end of its life, and likely only worked on by a few people now, which for a 7 year old game, is a lot more love than 90% of game studios out there will bother to maintain. It's dregs, but it's love. And I'll take dregs of love over none. Killing Floor 2 has given me more memories than I've had any right to expect of it. And it's possible we'll never see a successor perform as good, whether for nostalgic reasons or because developer goals shift. (But my faith is fully with you for KF3, Tripwire. I am looking forward.)

It makes me so sad to read things like "you're not even trying" and "game is unplayable and this isn't new". This IS new, never before have we gotten an update that bluescreens PlayStations this consistently and persistently. Give the devs some breathing room, for god sake. It's vile how you're talking to these people. These people are human beings with beating hearts and sensitive feelings. They're not just here to provide you entertainment or to be your punching bag for when you don't get it quickly enough.

I absolutely hate the mentality going around nowadays where people are so ready to jump on any mistake and use it to inflate all other minor issues, whining like petulent, spoilt children, at the same time elevating themselves above others, like they never made mistakes or had random bugs hop into their games before.

I've experienced every issue described in this thread at some point or another, and I still love KF2. Making games is hard (I've tried it), so I have patience. And I implore you to have it too. Nobody will be happy about this situation, not us as players or the devs as artists. Could we have a little more "hope you find a solution" as opposed to "how dare you, I gave you my money in 2016 and you deliver one broken free update in 7 years".
I work with IT, and we already supported apps/sites that had low traffic, however I can assure you that if there was a critical production bug that lingered for almost a month with no ETA, half of the developers would be fired on the spot

Reactions: Fox13 and Donkeyboy

Buddy, people are saying "this is nothing new" because IT IS NOTHING NEW. Just because you haven't seen the bluescreening problem before doesn't mean it didn't exist before this event. I remember this issue plaguing the last years event and it's been going on periodically for years. This year it's worse than ever. So no, you actually just don't know what you're talking about.
They're not just here to provide you entertainment or to be your punching bag for when you don't get it quickly enough
When I pay for a game, and cosmetics, I expect to be able to do something as simple as not miss out on an entire halloween event because of constant crashing in a game that has had years to do something as basic as fix game ruining problems, and prevent them from happening again. This is literally their job and people have the right to complain. No one's "treating them like a punching bag", you're being dramatic. These aren't bullied children. They're adults who are employed to provide us with entertainment, so your point makes zero sense on every level. The game is at an unplayable state at the moment and has been the entire event. And people are complaining about it, as they should be.

If you want to kiss azz go ahead, but don't rag on people complaining about a gamebreaking problem to people who have one job, maintain the game they're charging for. I was going to tell my buddy to get this game for the halloween event, I held off remembering how much it crashed last year, and glad I did because he wouldn't be able to play it at all and would have felt ripped off. It's not a good business practice, nor is it a good look for KF3 or any other game they come out with in the future.

Upvote 0
We'd like to thank you all again for your patience as we worked towards solutions for the reports of instability around Castle Volter. A hotfix has gone live this morning. https://forums.tripwireinteractive....ion-1-76-fall-2023-hot-fix-changelog.2340042/
So the "hotfix" was just taking the event away, whoop dee doo. It's only ever the events I've seen major the crashing problems like this, so it really doesn't seem like you actually fixed anything. It was "fixed" last year as well when the 2022 halloween event ended. What are PS players going to get for not being able to participate? There's no reason we shouldn't get the event items we were forced to miss out on.

Upvote 0
So the "hotfix" was just taking the event away, whoop dee doo. It's only ever the events I've seen major the crashing problems like this, so it really doesn't seem like you actually fixed anything. It was "fixed" last year as well when the 2022 halloween event ended. What are PS players going to get for not being able to participate? There's no reason we shouldn't get the event items we were forced to miss out on.
I mean my husband and I finished the seasonal on our PS4s 🤷🏻‍♀️

Upvote 0